5-HTP (5-hydroxytriptan) comes from mainly the seeds of the West African shrub, Griffonia Simplicifolia. 5-HTP or 5-hydroxytriptan is a natural chemical that produces serotonin in the body. Essentially, the body makes tryptophan first and this turns into serotonin. Reduced levels of serotonin are responsible for our mood changes or psychological health and improve a person’s mood.
In other words, serotonin transmits signals between the nerve cell, which contribute to mental disorders.
As a neurotransmitter, 5-HTP affects the brain. Low levels of serotonin cause panic attacks, insomnia, anxiety, and addictions.
The good news is that 5-HTP controls the appetite suppress headaches helps to relieve insomnia, immune system, depression, and fibromyalgia.
The list goes on to include other conditions such as migraines or chronic headaches. In addition, it’s proven that, as a dietary supplement, 5-HTP works as an effective way to lose weight.
How Does 5-HTP Work?
Serotonin doesn’t work in the bloodstream the way 5-HTP does.
In order to have privy to the brain, certain chemicals will need to pass the blood-brain roadblock.
Only a supplement such as 5-HTP can enter the bloodstream. Once it has done this, it can increase levels of serotonin in the brain.
With serotonin levels on the rise, your appetite decreases. You will feel like you are full and will push away from the table without much effort.
If you are interested in losing weight, 5-HTP is here to support you. It decreases the need to eat more than you should. On the other hand, it does more than just help you to lose weight. Let’s go over a few of the factors.
- Since serotonin works to stimulate positive moods, doctors are able to prescribe 5-HTP, especially to those who are not responding well to their current drugs. It is also effective in treating symptoms of anxiety. Doctors recommend consuming 150 mg to 300 mg a day to eliminate signs of depression;
- Sleep Disorders – Insomnia and Sleep Apnea. Studies show that by taking gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA, along with 5-HTP, people tend to sleep longer and fall asleep faster. Nonetheless, more studying needs to be completed to prove exactly how 5-HTP impact sleep patterns. Experts recommend that a person takes between 200mg to 400mg a night, however, it may take as long as 12 weeks before the user will yield the full effect of the supplement;
- There is more evidence surrounding chronic musculoskeletal pain than 10 years ago. More people than you know suffer from fatigue due to this painful disorder. If you are experiencing stiffness, six or more extremely tender points on the body, fatigue, broken sleep patterns, joint swelling, chronic headaches, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), or tingling sensations, you meet the criteria for fibromyalgia. See your family doctor for diagnosis and treatment;
- Migraine Headaches. What fibromyalgia and migraine headaches have in common is that they are symptoms of low serotonin levels. You see, 5-HTP aids in the treatment of fibromyalgia, however, the drug felonies blocks the enzyme that changes tryptophan to 5-HTP, which in the end, blocks serotonin from entering the body. It seems that an increase of serotonin reduces the number of migraines a person can have;
- Chronic or Daily Headaches. If you have headaches often, it could be due to an insufficient amount of serotonin. There are plenty of case studies on the subject with positive reviews. 5-HTP prevents migraine headaches without harmful side effects, unlike other supplements.
Smoking and Serotonin (5-HTP)
Smoking is hazardous to your health whether it’s cigars, cigarettes or marijuana.
There’s no way around the fact that it can have fatal results by causing lung cancer, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, strokes, chronic obstructive disease, COPD, heart disease and peripheral vascular disease.
If you continue to smoke, you may wish you had quite a long time ago. What does smoking have to do with 5-HTP?
Surprisingly, experts claim that 5-HTP can help you quit smoking by reducing withdrawal symptoms.
During the examinations, it was discovered that smokers had extremely low levels of serotonin, which in turn, makes it challenging for smokers to kick the habit.
With increased serotonin levels, a person is likely to quit smoking sooner than without it.
5-HTP Suggested Dosage
A suitable dose of 5-HTP rests largely on various factors such as health, age, and numerous other conditions.
The experts agree that overweight individuals who take 5-HTP before a meal, tend to eat less, therefore, they consume fewer calories.
They report an average drop of 10 pounds covering a three-month time frame. Alternatively, 5-HTP can be taken at bedtime and on an empty stomach.
However, if you forget to take a dose, take it as soon a possible unless it’s close to the time you’re supposed to take the next dose.
Don’t take two dosages at the same time, attempting to make up for the one you forgot.
Skip it and move on to the regularly scheduled amount. It is possible to take too much and overdose.
If you think you have taken way too much, get in touch with your doctor, emergency room, or poison control center right away.
- If you are a fibromyalgia patient, the dosage quantity would be different from another person. Those who are suffering from headaches, fibromyalgia, or depression, should talk with their doctor about 5-HTP. With his or her approval, you should start out slow with small amounts. Take at least 50 mg, however, not more than 100 mg (tablets/pills), three times per day for 30 days. This should eliminate the feelings of nausea people have while taking 5-HTP in the beginning. However, 5-HTP is made with an enteric-coat, therefore, the capsules do not break down in the stomach, thus, it prevents nausea;
- If you are using this product to prevent weight gain, take at least 20-30 minutes before meals;
- To help you sleep, start with a low dosage as well… around 100 to 300 mg, a half-hour before bedtime.
While it may take a few weeks to really feel a difference, you should not take the supplement longer than 12 weeks.
Who Uses 5-HTP?
According to particular assessments or reviews, 5-HTP worked really well for the men who were overweight.
This is based on a study of a group of men between the ages of 25 and 34.
As for the women, the study concluded the same evidence and also for men and women with an average age of 35 to 44.
Then again, neither gender, age 45-54, fared well. Read an important study here.
How Safe is 5-HTP?
As a short-term solution, 5-HTP is a safe way in which to lose weight.
You may not want to continue using this supplement after consuming 5-HTP for approximately three months.
Despite reports of being helpful in cases of mood disorders, you should talk to your mental health practitioner before using 5-HTP, especially if you are taking an MAOI or SSRI for conditions such as Bipolar Disorder or severe depression.
Ill-effects of the drug may include thoughts of harming yourself.
Additionally, if you are having gastrointestinal issues, you should notify your medical provider of this change in your health.
At the same time, 5-HTP is not recommended for those who are pregnant or nursing, have kidney disease or suffer from peptic ulcers.
What Are The 5 HTP Side Effects?
Noted side effects are stomach upset, lack of appetite, gas, heartburn, diarrhea or constipation, nausea and or vomiting.
Some people may experience nightmares, trouble breathing, a decline or lack of interest in intimacy, swelling, cramping, or intense muscle pain that happens suddenly.
The muscle tenderness describes what is known as eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome and the pain could go on even after discontinuing use of the product, although this doesn’t happen often.
Moreover, a person could contract asymptomatic eosinophilia, a blood disorder that is normally detected through laboratory testing.
Always notify your primary care provider of any and all self-prescribed supplements, diet pills, shakes, and herbal compounds that you may decide to use before you attempt them.
Some drugs can cause a serious reaction. Remember, 5-HTP increases levels of serotonin and combining drugs Marplan, linezolid, phenelzine or tranylcypromine, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Prozac, certain nasal sprays, antidepressants, migraine medications, L-tryptophan, Tofranil, SNRIs, ill-legal substances (marijuana, cocaine, meth, etc.), dietary supplements including St. John’s Wort, dextroamphetamine, and drugs used to treat Parkinson’s Disease, can worsen chronic and acute medical conditions.
Reports of seizures are of concern to people afflicted with Down Syndrome.
In the past, there were reports of contaminants which cause EMS or eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome, however, long-term studies were not completed on this supplement.
Still, EMS cause the muscles to be extremely sore and it can be life-threatening. How do you get this?
Well, it’s due to the impurities that are found in previous versions of 5-HTP or L-tryptophan supplements, however, they were not present in the purest form of the substance.
It is vital that you use a reputable brand of 5-HTP.
Use a Quality 5 HTP Supplement – Where to Buy?
Before buying, do the research! 5-HTP is a supplement that is widely available. You can find 5-HTP online, at the local drug store, grocery stores, nutrition stores, and health food stores.
A bottle of 5-HTP is relatively inexpensive so that almost everyone can afford to buy it. Nonetheless, you want to use a quality supplement.
Ensure that it has all-natural elements, free of binders, additives, or fillers. In addition, you’ll be checking for the element, Griffonia Simplicifolia or 5-HTP.
Also, check with your doctor or pharmacist to get the green light or at least, read the warning label.
If you are already taking prescribed medications, you need to know if you are at risk of having adverse reactions.
Certain combinations may cause a person’s serotonin levels to rise and this could not be in their favor. If you are going to buy 5-HTP, you want to buy the best.
Other companies may employ the use of other substances that may take away from the compound and it winds up being a disappointment to those who buy poor imitations.
- Natrol manufactures a time-released capsule (200 mg) that list around six other ingredients contained in the hydroxytriptan compound. This product claims to boost energy levels and put the spring action back into the bedroom. The suggested retail price is at $30, however, you are able to buy at a 47% discount. They offer a double pack;
- Nature’s Way brand consists of cellulose, modified cellulose, cellulose gum, fractionated coconut oil, vitamins B6 and C as a few of its advantages. It’s also one of the least expensive bottles. Their packaging claims that its 100% Original and is sold for less than $10 per bottle;
- NOW Foods Rice makes a capsule containing flour and gelatin while omitting sugar, corn, milk, yeast, wheat, gluten and preservatives from the capsule. This bottle sells for around $16.
You can buy safe 5 htp online from 2 big vendors like 5-HTP Appetite Control from Evolution Slimming (price starting at $30) or 5-HTP Premium 200mg ($44.95) from Bauer Nutrition.
5-HTP has been in existence for over 30 years now. With three decades of experience, it proves the claim for weight loss as an accurate statement.
If you love to eat and generally snack between meals, then 5-HTP is for you. Being overweight can have certain health risks. Putting on the weight is easy to do, nevertheless, when it comes to shedding pounds, it could be a totally different story.
Quitting certain kinds of behaviors take a lot of discipline. Sometimes you can’t do it alone. If you have found it difficult to lose weight, the fact could weigh heavily on you and bring on feelings of depression or self-loathing. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
Obesity is widespread and maintaining a healthy lifestyle has become an issue for many people as well as major organizations. It’s challenging, to say the least – don’t be ashamed to reach out for help.
There are so many ways in which to partner with groups who dedicate themselves to helping people like you to live longer and healthier. In addition, 5-HTP has extraordinary value.
The makers of 5-HTP make good on their claim to help you look your best and to feel better.
The University of Edinburgh;
Degree Name BSc Hons;
Field Of Study Pure Chemistry – with Maths and Physics;
Dates attended or expected graduation 1964 – 1968;
Activities and Societies: 2nd Year Beer Drinking Champion, 3rd Year Skittles Champion;
4th-year research project: Analytical X-Ray Crystallography – molecular structure of organic crystals.
Read more about me.